The Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation is the largest private, independent, local Foundation focused exclusively on the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. The Foundation is the legacy of Morris Cafritz, one of Washington’s leading commercial and residential builders from the early 1920’s to the mid-60’s. An outstanding civic leader known for his generosity, Morris Cafritz established the Foundation in 1948. His wife, Gwendolyn, one of Washington’s leading hostesses in the post-World War II years, was President of the Foundation from 1964 to 1988. In December 1988, Calvin Cafritz was elected to the Board of Directors of The Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation and since February 1989, has served as Board Chairman. In July 1993, he was elected President and CEO of the Foundation.
Since 1970, when electronic record keeping was initiated, awards totaling more than $428 million have been granted. In the last 10 years, $194 million has been awarded to more than 857 organizations in the areas of Community Services, Arts and Humanities, Education, Health and the Environment. The Foundation is committed to improving the quality of life for residents of the Washington, DC area. For more information, please visit www.cafritzfoundation.org.